FILM – INTO THE WOODS (Rob Marshal)
Into The Woods is a 2015 movie that puts together various fairy-tails to make a complete story. The fairy-tales used to make the plot of this movie include:
- Cinderella (Anna Kendrick)
- The Baker (James Cordon)
- Little Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford)
- Jack and the Beanstalk (Daniel Huttlestone)
- Rapunzel (MacKenzie Mauzy)
Other actors in the film include:
- Meryl Streep (The Witch)
- Emily Blunt (The Bakers Wife)
- Johnny Depp (Big Bad Wolf)
- Chris Pine (The Prince)
- Tracey Ullman (Jack’s Mother)
- Billy Magnussen (Rapunzel’s prince)
- Christine Baranski (Stepmother)
The film begins with a quick shot of each of the main characters singing for what they most wish for. Once this is over the viewer is shown a scene that include The Witch (Streep) telling the Bakers (Cordon and Blunt) that if they are to get her certain items, then she will lift the curse that has been put on their family that prevents them from having children.
The aspects of the film that will be used for analysis include the
- Title of the movie;
- An analysis of the music
- Choice of characters
- And overall movie success
ANALYSIS OF FILM TITLE
The title of the film is very appropriate as the main song of the film is “Into the Woods” and each of the characters needs to venture into the woods in order to complete their mission of the film.
The title also implies some mystery to the film. This is very appropriate as within the film there is a sense of darkness and mystery.
The ‘woods’ may also be referring to the fears within each character. The characters in the film are all required to face a fear they have to complete their mission, or the reason that they venture into the woods.
Below is a list of the various fears of the main characters that the title of the movie may be referring to:
- Cinderella (Anna Kendrick) – Being an orphan her whole life and not finding her true love (The Prince)
- The Baker (James Cordon) – Not being able to have the curse placed on his family lifted and being able to give his wife a child
- Jack and the Beanstalk (Daniel Huttlestone) – Losing his best friend ‘Milky White’, the cow
- Rapunzel (MacKenzie Mauzy) – Never being able to leave the tower and travel the world and meet people
- Meryl Streep (The Witch) – Losing the child that she stole from the Bakers parents, her only reason for living
- Emily Blunt (The Bakers Wife) – Being stuck in a regular life and not feeling like a princess
MUSIC AND SOUND ANALYSIS
Into the Woods (2015) is a musical and each song is placed within the scene at the appropriate time to show the viewer how a character is feeling and what their plan for the rest of the film will be.
There are various other songs used throughout the movie that indicate the emotions and the intensions of each character.
Below is a list of the songs used in the movie to direct the emotions of the audience, to either feel in favour of a character or against a character or situation:
|Prologue: Into The Woods||–||Company (Into The Woods Cast)|
|Cinderella at the Grave||–||Joanna Riding|
|Hello, Little Girl||–||Johnny Depp, Lilla Crawford|
|I Know Things Now||–||Lilla Crawford|
|A Very Nice Prince||–||Anna Kendrick, Emily Blunt|
|Giants in the Sky||–||Daniel Huttlestone|
|Agony||–||Billy Magnussen, Chris Pine|
|It Takes Two||–||Emily Blunt, James Crawford|
|Stay With Me||–||Meryl Streep|
|On the Steps of the Palace||–||Anna Kendrick|
|Careful My Toe||–||Christine Baranski, Lucy Punch|
|Ever After||–||Stephen Sondheim|
|Witch’s Lament||–||Meryl Streep|
|Any Moment||–||Emily Blunt, Chris Pine|
|Moments in the Woods||–||Emily Blunt|
|Your Fault||–||Anna Kendrick, James Cordon, Meryl Streep|
|Last Midnight||–||Meryl Streep|
|No One is Alone||–||Anna Kendrick, James Cordon, Lilla Crawford|
|Finale/Children Will Listen (Part 1)||–||Emily Blunt, James Cordon, Meryl Streep|
|Finale/Children Will Listen (Part 2)||–||Company (Into The Woods Cast)|
All music and lyrics were written by Stephen Sondheim.
The theme song of the movie plays at the very beginning and forms a perfect introduction of the main characters for the movie. Through this first song it is clear what each character desires to happen in their lives.
Below is a list of the desires of each character, as identified by the theme song ‘Into the Woods’:
- Cinderella: To go to the festival that the King is holding for the Prince to select a bride to be his princess
- Jack: His cow would give milk and he would not have to give her away
- Baker and Wife: To have a child
- Little Red Riding Hood: To take her granny in the woods some bread and treats
Over all the movie was a success, becoming a Disney “holiday hit” for 2015 (The Wrap. 2015). Through the use of cinematography, music and a star filled cast, the movie went on to win the MTV Movie Award for Best Villain, the Motion Pictures Award for Best Cast and the Costume Designers Guide Award for Excellence in Fantasy Film (Google. 2015).